Sunday, November 30, 2014

Kahne & Westheimer, "In The Service of What?"

I honestly don't know if any of my community service programs count as service learning, or more like at the time did I learn anything from them?

I have worked in cleaning up community parks. This is probably lower level learning. we cleaned up parks over the summer. Keeping them clean for children so, they can have somewhere to play that wasn't invested with used needles that they can get stabbed or hurt with.We picked up trash, we also did the up keep of the grass. Also some adults like to come and play hand ball, basketball, or even workout. Everyone wants their neighborhood to look nice an clean. It felt good when we saw children play with smiles.

The other community service I did was at a school during the summer. Helping with the school lunch program. And at the time I was young and I thought volunteering was a cool thing to do, to be around people, meeting new ones, and being around friends. I have always liked children so I felt this was easy for me. I helped with servicing the lunches, making sure everyone got one, making sure children behaved, and then cleaning. At the time I didn't realized how important it was. Now, that I'm older i know they are children who go hungry everyday and when there's no during the summer this is a good way to help with those issues during the summer. A lot of these have no where to go and this helps even if it's for a few hours. I don't know if it's everywhere but in some places instead of the kids going to schools for lunch, the people go to the parks where these children play at and provide them with lunches there. I think this is pretty cool because they're being watched by the volunteers at the park and by the person that's giving lunch to them while playing with other children.

Now as an adult in college, apart of my education i volunteer in schools so i can learn in my future career field. I'm working with children and learning how to work with them to help with their education and my own. I'm learning about diversity in public schools. What I should be aware of in the classroom, learning of technology being used in schools today, learning how to deal with situations that may or may not come up in a classroom.




No comments:

Post a Comment