Thursday, October 23, 2014

Speaking the unspeakable in forbidden places: addressing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality in the primary school

I found it difficult to decide what kind of Cinderella I would be. I didn’t want to be
completely feminine because they see loads of very feminine fairy tale characters all the
time and yet they also seem to think that all lesbians look like men so I wanted to
challenge that in them too. So I decided to be definitely female but not pink and pretty. I
wore boots and a sparkly wig and a skirt and a leather jacket.
I thought this was interesting because she give her class a visual experience and not a stereotype of what a lesbian should be. I also found it interesting how the children were more accepting of the story king and king, but maybe because of the happy ending. I think it's a good idea to teach children of people of LGBT. So, they can be more accepting of others who are different and maybe it also would be easier for parents as well. Having educators who may have the knowledge or have done maybe work shops for this topic can express, educate, and maybe give the correct information to these children. I also think parents should help out as well. This is such a touchy subject because of beliefs, fears, and just trying to protect children. I believe all schools should have education on racism and on LGBT so we can have a future generation who are more accepting of others.


http://www.foxnews.com/story/2003/07/28/nyc-to-open-high-school-for-gays/




No comments:

Post a Comment