Thursday, October 23, 2014

Hunger of Memory the education of Richard Rodriguez

I do disagree with the fact that the parents listened to nuns and let their children speak only English. I can relate with Richard because I'm a Latina who was born in America. And as time goes by without speaking Spanish to another person, the worst my Spanish get's. I think it's because mentally we start processing information in English. Which makes it harder to speak  Spanish because you have to say it backwards from English, it's spoken in opposite. 
When his uncle and other family members comes to visit and they get so angry with the children because they don't speak their native language. this is so true because our elders are proud of their culture. they get mad in this situation because language is apart of the culture your from and its in embarrassing when the younger generation is letting all that history die. They probably feel that if they let that die then whats next? the history? Us younger generation who struggles with speaking our culture language, most of the time it isn't that we want that its just harder for to practice it, so we forget. As for me I'm one of them but I wont let my culture or traditions die out. I'm very proud of my history. So I try to keep alive by learning, cooking, celebrating traditions.   



No comments:

Post a Comment