Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unlearning The Myths that Blinds Us

I like she opened up this article by describing herself, to us know she no Disney princess herself. I think this is the article that tied everything together for me. I saw the connections before but this is so eye opening. It connects to the first article Johnson because they make you think of what you see everyday but never actually seen it for what it was. I never even noticed how I felt as a child how I felt of the fact there wasn't any female cartoon characters in shows like bugs bunny, until space jams came out and I was so excited because she was a female and not a male pretending to be one and that she could play basketball, than I could relate to her. I didn't look up to Disney princess like my cousins growing up because I wasn't girly. Where was my connection? I never believed in man should be my hero. I think there should more characters out in the media for all little girls to connect to. The only one I can think of now is the movie brave because she felt she should take her destiny in her own hands and not be married, she wanted independents. There are so many different little kids out there so they should have characters like them in books, cartoons, movies, etc. I teach my daughter that a woman can do whatever a man can do. and this is for little boys too. Growing up i used hate when the men in family use to say to my brother, "Man up" or "Act like a Man", like what is that suppose to mean? because he was a quite little boy. I used to defend him. Like what do they want from a six years old child? fight, be angry? I just didn't understand. Gender roles shouldn't be pressured on a child. Children are smart, they learn by seeing, hearing, an experiencing things for themselves. Let them be who they want to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VqsbvG40Ww

No comments:

Post a Comment